Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Ground breaking news...stem cells

Posted by Barb 
Ground breaking news...stem cells
March 02, 2009 07:15PM
I was just watching our news, and they said there is new, ground breaking news out of mt sanai hospital in canada, on stem cell research. They said embryo cells have moral issues, and they said other stem cells they have to add a virus to to make them work, and that can cause cancer. They said researchers in canada have just found a way to use a persons own skin cells, to make stem cells, and that no virus is added, and so they said there is no risk of cancer, or of a persons body rejecting it...and they said a person has a huge amount of skin cells available too. They said this is still very pre liminary, and will be several years before they are using it on people. But i thought this was interesting, and thought i would share it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 07:20PM by Barb.
Shy
Re: Ground breaking news...stem cells
March 02, 2009 07:52PM
Thanks Barb!
March 02, 2009 07:55PM
jl
March 02, 2009 08:03PM
There are no moral issues with the use of embryonic stemcells for the majority of people.

I mean - if you have a choice between throwing fertilized embryos away (and thus destroying them!) - and using them to possibly save a life - isn't it more "moral" to try to save a life?

jl

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2009 01:49PM by jl.
March 02, 2009 08:07PM
Oh Jl, i was just relaying what they said on the news, wasnt saying if i had moral issues, just relaying the news story, that's all.
March 03, 2009 08:03AM
God news Barb. Progress being made all the time. I was at a youth conference here in England last weekend and the research talk was very positive with plenty of good research going on around the world.

[www.hdyo.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login