Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

what you write might be on the WWW

Posted by Edwina 
what you write might be on the WWW
July 29, 2008 12:44PM
Hi all ,

I was looking to see if the Neotine store was selling creatine and I typed in Neotine store. Well of course that came up along with, My question asking about the Neotine store AND yes some of your answers too.

I guess I just need to be careful what I write so it doesn't someday bite me back. :-)

Anyway The Store products are still out at the Neotine Store and my local Walmart is out of stock as they are remodeling. We are just about out so I better try a health store or Vitimen shop

Hope everyone has nice day.
Re: what you write might be on the WWW
July 30, 2008 08:18PM
I know, it is sometimes surprising what you find about yourself or what you've written. And I've heard it will be there forever, too. Is that true?
July 30, 2008 08:28PM
There is a way to get rid of them...I think I got an email about it once but I dont remeber how to do it
July 30, 2008 08:31PM
There is no telling how long something will stay on the WWW. Look at Google's cashe pages.

Amazing.
July 31, 2008 03:36PM
I guess it means I mine my P's and Q's while writing anything on the web, that might come back and bite me.

Anyway I only brought it up because it was interesting to find it on the web. I guess thats what the WWW is all about, geting out informaton.

:-) E
August 04, 2008 07:54AM
Interestingly I wrote a program in Library Science school which was the equivalent of googles in text subject search using perforated cards in 1972. My program had to work on the university computer. McGill had just bought a new huge main frame and to pay for it they leased out daytime hours to local businesses. Lowly students had to stagger up the hill after midnight, enter the data ans run the program. M y program worked. When google came along I was very happy because the search engine is so accurate espcially compared to MSN search. Before google I used alta vista.
When I first wrote my web at [www.hardofhearingchildren.com]
microsoft expected me to pay $215 a country for the rights to the words hard of hearing.As I had already paid for my url, I bypassed MSN search, it not as good as google. I also worked on the subject matter for the search term through the US Library of Congress because they used HEaring-impaired and deaf. My book was he first book in the world on hard of hearing children, and my web was the first on hard of hearing children although hohkids are the greatest number.
The editing process on my book took 6 years. This is normal for a non fiction book, but makes the information in books out of date sooner.universities changed to professional journals for teaching purposes a long time ago, but the academics have a strangle hold on each others publications. I have had a web site on the www since 1996 which Ross did to promote the book which was failing through every search egine because of the Not in the title. Not is a denying term in boolean search which is the basis of most searches.My book was listed in BOoks in Print but was never succesfully retrieved there. Also people often confused our name with Cavendish.
The secret to google search is that it gives back the level of information by the complexity of the search term. If you use hypacoustic to search you will get back articles which use that term and all the relevant material at that level of vocabulary and you won't understand a word unless you are an audiologist or ENT or SPT. If you use the word deaf or Deaf you will get articles much easier to read. If you use the words hard of hearing children, you get to my web first, which is only fair becuase I bought it in 1999.
It is terrific that people with weird diseases can now get information from the www. It comes from me and MArsha and STeve first, and Dr. DUbinski at ukansas to see the www as a teaching tool. But anytime I post, I make sure that it is well thought out, and for the the most part respectful because I've been putting up stuff on the www for 12 years.
Dusty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2008 07:57AM by dustyblues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login