Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Just tested positive

Posted by DavidMM 
DavidMM
Just tested positive
January 06, 2006 10:22AM
I wrote back a few months ago about having some possible symptoms of HD. Well I was tested and I got the news yesterday that I have a CAG count of 40. I took it rather well, I have been living for a while as if I had HD. The family history was there , the symptoms were there and I had little hope of being negative.It strange that I feel some relief knowing. It answers so many questions about my mental and physical problems of the last couple years.

On January 19th, I turn the big 30. Things are definately going to change. I have been out of work for 5 months and have applied for medicaide and SSI based on my depression/anxiety. I am nervous about the future, but I know God is in control. He isn't finished with me and will meet my needs. One need he met is providing support and information through the great people on this website. I thank you so much. Over the months I continue to come back and read and find out new things and confirm things that people with HD and caregivers have to deal with. Knowledge is very helpful to me.

Thanks again for the support you give all pHD and caregivers.

Paula
Re: Just tested positive
January 06, 2006 10:36AM
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but happy to hear that you are coping rather well. Have you started an anitidepressant yet? They are very helpful to many people. I personally have found that therapy is helpful for me. I also walk about 3 miles at least 4 times a week (It's harder in the winter), take fish oil and pray. God Bless you.
January 06, 2006 09:22PM

Hi David and welcome.

All we can do is pray and leave it up to God to make a cure happen.

Ofcourse you are nervous about the future why wouldn't you be? I have found this board very comforting and informative. I wish you well

God Bless you,

Just Me.
cath
January 07, 2006 06:11AM
I too feel for you as my daughter was also diagnosed as positive yesterday - she is 27 and like you young to be showing signs and also being positive - I am so proud of her.
Jessica
January 10, 2006 05:08PM
Cath and David~

I too am only 27, I tested positive 5 years ago. I feel like I am showing symptoms, but my family hasn't said anything. I made them promise to tell me. I tested with a CAG of 44.

God bless and good luck, and let's pray that they find a cure soonsmiling smiley
January 11, 2006 06:03PM
Jessica,
As a caregiver, I just wanted to let you know that it is difficult to tell someone that they are showing signs...please keep this in mind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login