Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Creatine

Posted by Jim 
Jim
Creatine
July 15, 2000 09:26AM
Does anyone out there know something further about Creatine and it's use for HD? Should I now be taking it? If so, how much? The abstract sounds extremely positive, why is it that more people are not aware of it? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks,

im
Marsha
RE: Creatine
July 16, 2000 11:14AM
I always hesitate to respond to medical questions since none of us who post here are doctors. When we first read about creatine being neuroprotective in a 3NP (toxin) model of HD over a year ago, my husband asked his doctors about taking creatine. His neurologist said he could not advise him since there were no clinical trials with people. His general practitioner told him it was all right with him to go ahead. So he's been taking it for about a year now.

Since the creatine study results with the HD gene mice were announced at the convention, there were many questions from people with HD and at risk about taking it. The researchers and doctors stressed the need for clinical trials to determine safety and tolerability, the effectiveness and the right dose for people and pointed out that clinical trials are starting up. But as you can imagine, many people said they were going to take it anyway.

I really think it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about it.
RE: Creatine
July 16, 2000 12:31PM
Marsha will probably shoot me for this. Her answer is absolutely right - the trial results are not in and it would be totally irresponsible for any medical professional to recommend creatine. However, I'm not a medical professional nor has anyone ever accused me of being responsible so I thought I'd pass along a few tidbits.

Some who are using creatine feel that there HAVE been noticible improvements in the quality of life. Improvements have been reported in the area of physical strength and memory.

If you want to pursue it I'd recommend spending some time in chat rooms discussing the subject with those who are using it. There are many people using it and many more considering it's use. Most will offer information in a chat room that they wouldn't feel comfortable espousing on a bulletin board.

The link [www.absolute-creatine.com] provides additional info about creatine.

Also, Jerry has several articles on Creatine at [table.jps.net]

One point emphasized by many is that the dosage typically used by athletes is far above what is appropriate for those with HD. We don't use creatine in our family but I've heard recommendations that run around 4 to 5 grams per day which I think is a third of the dosage used by many endurance athletes that are on a creatine "maintenance" program.

There are many reports that creatine doesn't deliver the benefits to athletes that are promised.

Like all supplements there is a risk of side effects so be sure to talk to a doctor before taking it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login