Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Update / My Mom

Posted by db 
db
Update / My Mom
February 01, 2017 09:46AM
My dear Mom is still alive . She is in her late , late , stages of HD . She is in a Continuous Care Facility . I think it has been 6 or 7 years she has been there . My Dad visits her most days . She still recognizes him and she still recognizes me after I say to her its me db your daughter . Dad talks to her the same subjects over and over again and that works out well . We as a family made a decision when Mom first went in the nursing home to just allow her to have regular food , no tubes . Yes she has had lung problems at times because of that decision . But we felt for us and Mom if she got enjoyment from the food that was more important to us , and hopefully for her . The last 6 months there has been a change she is not as strong physically . One of her Caregivers stated she doesn' t have her twinkle in her eyes when she wakes up in the morning . As a family we were happy that the Care Facility has been so good to my Mom . My hd Grandmother lived into her mid 90's in a Care Facility . I read an article years ago that stated that visiting your loved ones on a regular bases when they are in a Care Facility was a good step to ensuring excellent care . I think we as a family can attest to that . I always thought Moms CAG was 39 , we found out it is actually 41 . I have not tested nor my sibling . Moms family 4 individuals have tested . only 1 of those tested will not get HD . On my Dads side of the family there also is HD . I don't know who has tested . I know one cousin was told he has MS ?????? Did he tell his Doctor about HD I don't know . Over all I know my families HD many live long lives . There are those distant cousins who have had more intense symptoms and live shorter lives into there 50's , 60's . I hope this update helps some of you with HD . All of my best db
Re: Update / My Mom
February 02, 2017 11:10AM
May the good Lord bless your Mom and your family. Your mother is very lucky to have such caring family members and husband. So difficult.
February 03, 2017 04:21PM
My heart goes out to all of you. You're Saints.

Will
db
February 07, 2017 12:25PM
Thanks , RichS and Will . A cute story to tell you . Dad went to see Mom a few days ago . He put his hat down , Mom spied it , and promptly put it on her head . And looked at Dad . It made Dads night . Anyways , All of my best . db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login