Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Food choices

Posted by schydawg 
Food choices
August 15, 2016 12:54PM
Hi,
My husband is in the later stages of HD and will now only eat a few things. Everything has to be sweet and soft or he won't eat it. I understand why this is happening (loss of smell/tooth loss), but I am wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior and if anyone has suggestions. He seems to be doing okay, but I don't know if someone can survive on PBJ's, ice cream, oatmeal, and pudding alone. For a long time, he was at least eating fruit (soft or canned) at every meal. Now he won't eat that. I remember he told me that his grandmother who had HD survived for years eating bakery pies from the supermarket!
Re: Food choices
August 21, 2016 09:10AM
schydawg, I am going to await others to weigh in as I would like to see what advice is offered. My wife is entering later stages as well. She still eats scones, drinks smoothies, and has dinners comprising of cubed size meats with potatoes and cut beans and the like.

The challenge moving forward is moving towards more pureed foods and keeping the caloric intake up to offset the movements. I do use the Benecalorie pack which adds 350 calories to her smoothies (every lunch), but I am looking at having to use a thickener for water moving forward, as suggested by the Swallow Study.

She is still drinking water out of a straw, but it is producing more coughing and only a matter of time that I will be adding the thickener to her water.

Best wishes to you.
October 21, 2016 11:16AM
Smoothies!!!! You can hide all sorts of protein in there.

1 c milk
1 c greek yogurt
1 package carnation instant breakfast
1 banana
1/2 can fruit of choice
Blend with ice.

I would make this up around 10am for a mid morning snack, put it in a tumbler with a straw, and he would sip on it all morning.

Hope this helps.
PattyC
db
February 01, 2017 08:35AM
Hi , I just read your post and thought I would add a little of my insight . My hd Mom is almost 90 in the late stages in a continuous care facility . My Moms mind just does not focus on food most of the time . I think if you can sneak in protein powder or any nutritious add ins , you should try that . All you can do is your best . And then practice trying to not get upset with yourself when you want to do more , or make it better , but your dear loved one just will not take your direction . All my best . db
February 27, 2017 07:43AM
Yes. the smoothies are pretty much one the best things you can make, you can add a little a few extra things like banana, strawberry, a bit of icecream, milk (even milk powder)
There is no limit to the different things you can do,
You can also turn alot of foods like meat, veggies etc into almost soup if you use a blender, it takes a bit of trial and error to get it to taste nice.
In the country I live in, they have a service called meals on wheels, they cook good food, when they deliver it, you can do the same with it, blender the hell out of it until it turns into a soup like consistency.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login