Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

feeding tubes

Posted by polleyathome 
feeding tubes
April 19, 2016 06:39PM
My wife is in an assisted living house and her doctor said we should consider a feeding tube but said it was 50/50 as to
any benefit verses not having one. Just asking if others have had to decide and what would you recommend.
I know each person is different but I would like some pro's and con's
Re: feeding tubes
April 20, 2016 05:43AM
My daughter is 33 and late stage JHD. She got a feeding tube three years ago. Everybody had an opinion but ultimately the choice was hers. She has maintained her weight and enjoyed better physical health with the tube. It was not an easy decision. The factors leading to her decision and the pros and cons are outlined in chapter 12 of the book describing her HD journey. Here is the link:[www.allisonsstory.com]
April 22, 2016 02:16PM
I'm interested in this too. I have decided not to. But will probably be in my 70s I think! I have seen people pulling them out on line trying to die. I don't want that.
April 23, 2016 08:41AM
Pulling a feeding tube out does not kill you .In fact, it does not even hurt. My daughter has accidentally done it many times. I now keep a spare and have learned how to reinsert it. I get so tired of people who disparage someone who wants to have a tube. The feeding tube actually makes the dying process much more tolerable. Nothing wrong with that.
May 09, 2016 01:29PM
Your daughter being as young as she is I would definitely want her to have one if I were you.
May 09, 2016 01:29PM
Your daughter being as young as she is I would definitely want her to have one if I were you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login