Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

worried about meds for son in psych unit

Posted by eve 
eve
worried about meds for son in psych unit
April 16, 2016 10:20PM
I haven't posted for quite a long time. I had to take a break for awhile. Now I'm back asking for help. There are a lot of very smart people on this site so I hope I can get some answers. My hubby has CAG of 41, so our son (not a teenager yet) is at risk. He was just admitted to our local inpatient psych unit for behavioral problems at school (also home). He was diagnosed at a young age with autism, although those symptoms are largely gone. Then he was diagnosed with ADHD. Recently diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder. Now possible bipolar is considered but probably won't be since he is too young for the diagnosis. I am worried because they are trying different medications and calling me to ask my permission. of course I'm saying yes, but I started to think and worry. I seem to remember a list of some meds that are not recommended for HD+ or at risk people. I tried to run a search of this site, but couldn't come up with anything. I remember one was Ritalin. Another seemed like it was a medication for heart burn that started with an "R" (maybe reglan) and another was an older type of anesthesia I think. Does anyone know of any medications that are contraindicated for HD? I know my son needs help and I'm desperate to try anything, but I also don't want to cause him harm. I doubt this would be juvenile HD...right? It is a very stressful time. If anyone knows especially of any psych drugs to stay away from, I would greatly appreciate it if you'd let me know. Thanks.
Re: worried about meds for son in psych unit
April 17, 2016 05:39AM
Haldol is usually avoided. My daughter has juvenile HD. Bipolar was her first diagnosis back in her teens. Officially diagnosed with juvenile HD at 19. She is now 33, living at home with me, and in late stages. Still aware and enjoying her life.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login