Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

IVF with PGD - anyone currently going through it?

Posted by gabson 
IVF with PGD - anyone currently going through it?
April 11, 2016 02:17AM
Hi everyone,

Is anyone on here currently going through IVF with PGD?

I started PGD in November last year, and so far I've had 3 embryo transfers from my 1st IVF cycle and none of them implanted. (From this first cycle, 5 embryos were tested, & 3 were HD-free).

I'm onto my 2nd IVF cycle, and out of 4 tested embryos, only one was HD-free, so just a bit unlucky this time.

My 4th embryo transfer will be happening in a months time and I'm very nervous about it, as it's hard to believe IVF actually works, especially after 3 failed attempts.

I would love to hear from anyone else currently doing PGD smiling smiley
Re: IVF with PGD - anyone currently going through it?
April 11, 2016 10:02AM
Did it, worked, absolutely beautiful son. smiling smiley

Did it again, and sadly there was a different genetic issue (our luck is just terrible), and we lost the pregnancy.

Thinking about doing it again next month.

If none implanted, you may want to consider adding PGS where they scan the DNA for other genetic problems that can affect the implantation rate or pregnancy.
April 12, 2016 05:39PM
Hi,

Sorry you haven't had any luck yet.

I went through two rounds of IVF/PGD. The first round we had three embryos tested and all of them were positive. Second round we had seven embryos tested and four were negative but one of them stopped growing. We have a two year old son from our first implant and I am currently pregnant from our second implant. I know we've been extremely lucky this time but wanted to let you know it can turn out positive.

All the best for your next transfer.
April 17, 2016 02:43AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

These embryos were also tested for chromosome issues too. So no idea what's going on. I was 28 years at egg retrieval and now 29.

I know I can fall pregnant, just IVF seems to not work for us. It's very confusing and I can't help but worry there is something wrong with me. So many women have first time success with PGD, I just haven't been as lucky yet.

I really hope this 4h transfer is our lucky one. I'm going to do one more egg retrieval before transferring, just so I have more back up embryos (fingers crossed), incase it doesn't work, and also because I'd like to have more than one child.

Did either of you do natural transfers or medicated? And were you given additional medication to help with implantation? Baby aspirin etc...

I'm having an endometrial scratch this month, as apparently it can help.
April 25, 2016 10:06PM
I did a medicated transfer but it was purely for timing. I think the success rates are about the same whether you do it naturally or with a medicated cycle. I wasn't given any other medication. I was 27 when I did the PGD cycle and 27 and 29 when the embryos were transferred.

I know of one person that didn't get pregnant til their third transfer off the same PGD cycle. You need an embryo that's going to be viable to start with and then I think it's around 50/50 if it takes or not so hopefully it's just been a run of bad luck in your case and one will eventually take.
May 09, 2016 01:27PM
Does insurance cover this or at least some of them? I have a daughter that might be interested but not sure on the cost. I live in VT
July 05, 2016 02:50PM
I too have a son and daughter-in-law that will be facing this issue soon. If any of you are up to sharing your experience with insurance and personal costs, I believe it would be of great help to many on this board. All the best to those trying to conceive an HD free child.
January 04, 2017 08:37AM
I have successfully been thru IVF with PGD. We have twin boys that are 7. If you are interested, there is a facebook site set up for people trying to go thru IVF PGD for Huntington's.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login