Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

VA Benefits

Posted by normzach 
VA Benefits
March 29, 2016 08:09AM
Got thinking about veterans’ benefits and related questions, particularly from vets with Huntington’s Disease and their care givers, that surface on this and other forums. After going through the process and continuing to work to find other VA services that can help Ms. America, have jotted down few thoughts that may help others get started
Eligibility – check eligibility as it has changed, [www.va.gov]. Spend time surfing the VA site for additional information about minimum duty requirements, enhanced eligibility, and enrollment. Get smart.
Application - [www.va.gov] application can be done on line, but prefer the old analog way, face to face which means get help.
Get Help –The application process can be daunting to the uninitiated, but help is available. The National Association of County Veterans Service Officers, [nacvso.org], is sanctioned by the VA to assist veterans in applying for benefits and services. These folks will help with applying for state benefits. And, the VA has Mobile Assistance Teams that reach out to vets in rural areas - [www.va.gov] . And, there are Veteran Service Officers, again trained by the VA, within each of various veterans organizations such as: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Disabled Veterans of America. These people have one axe to grind – the vet’s. They will research, organize, prepare and submit the application for VA benefits and services. Be careful – there are a lot of sleazebags out there purporting to be VA affiliated and can circumvent the process. Use only va.gov sites and VA forms. A VSO will help you steer clear of the dark side.
Discharge Papers (DD 214) – have a copy notarized and filed in your county’s court house for safe keeping.
Medical Directives – Differ by state. When executed, file in county court house, local hospital and primary care provider.
Supporting Documentation – Most important. Diagnosis by recognized authority, eg. The Baltimore Huntington’s Disease Center at John Hopkins carries a lot of weight with the VA. Recommend having medical records reviewed for HD symptoms by a medical professional within the HD community. The VSO will have suggestions.
Catastrophic Disability – VA recognizes HD as a condition that qualifies for disability. [www.va.gov]- 435_Catastrophically_Disabled_Veterans.pdf . This provides additional health benefits such as no co-pay for meds. Again, VSOs will be able to help.
Dot the I’s and Cross the T’s – The VA is using machine processing of applications for benefits, at least during the initial pass. Which means the machine cross checks the application against VA criteria. So applications should contain specific words/phrases – eligibility criteria is 24 months of active service –e.g. application should state 36 months of active duty service from January 3 1998 thru January 4 2001. Check spelling and grammar.
Good luck. Let me know if I can be of assistance. From the south of Maryland,

Fred Lothrop
Re: VA Benefits
May 30, 2016 09:35AM
Thank you for posting the above references for vets.
Lizzieann

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 06:22PM by LizzieAnn.
June 13, 2016 04:55PM
Interesting LizzieAnn,

Have not heard of VA approving 100% disability for HD. It would a great service to vets with HD if the social worker at the COE that supported your husband's claim would document the whats, who's, and how's of the process the doctors went through in determining your husband's HD via video's. And, then sending down through the COE chain so other centers will know and understand that service related disability for HD is available.

Well done

from the south of Maryland,

Fred Lothrop
June 13, 2016 07:33PM
LizzieAnn,

If you don't mind, please tell me which COE supported your husband's claim for disabilty.

Thanx,

Fred Lothrop
June 15, 2016 06:19AM
He had chorea in the videos. It was early facial tics & twitches & typical arm and hand chorea that can look like fidgeting. It was Vanderbilt. Actually, the VA does rate HD the same as sydemham's chorea. My husband was now rated 100% because now he is what I would say is early late stage. He is non-verbal and wheelchair most occassions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2016 06:23AM by LizzieAnn.
June 17, 2016 02:32PM
Appreciate the comeback, LizzieAnn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login