Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Depression - a symptom or just life?

Posted by MattK 
Depression - a symptom or just life?
December 21, 2015 10:07AM
I have read that one of the early symptoms of HD is depression, but how can you tell what is a symptom and what is just part of life? I was diagnosed with depression in my early 20's, took anti-depressants for 20 years and once day decided I didn't want to be unemotional any more, so I took myself off of them (around 2012). Now I have this. I mean, I received a call of being gene-positive (CAG 40) on Dec 10 and I have pretty much been depressed since then. Wouldn't any normal person be? I have a neuro appt on Jan 8, but that seems like a forever away.

Thanks for listening.

Matt
Re: Depression - a symptom or just life?
December 21, 2015 11:02AM
I had depression before my gene positive test at 21. It could just be normal stress-induced depression. If you feel that the situation is stressful, that is enough in itself to cause depression.
April 11, 2016 09:14PM
I HAD depression before Huntington's diagnosis from sexual abuse as a child I have wondered whether the Huntington's made it more severe
July 11, 2016 02:58PM
I am so sorry. It is difficult to deal with depression alone. Much less with Huntington's. I wish all the best for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login