Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Advice to Help a Relative

Posted by Gene67 
Advice to Help a Relative
September 12, 2015 01:28PM
Hello all. I live at risk for HD. Sadly, my cousin has succumbed to this disease, although I do not know if she has been officially diagnosed. She lives a significant distance from me and I am not sure if other family will be able to help. Her condition has deteriorated over the past five years. I just found that she lost her house due to foreclosure recently and has hid the fact that she had lost her job some time ago. She has stopped all communication with me and other family; however, one friend has, at least, found where she is staying. I want to get her help. Does anyone have any idea how I should move forward? Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Advice to Help a Relative
September 19, 2015 12:22PM
Hi,
It is very commendable that you want to help your cousin as she doesn't seem to have anyone else. Helping someone long-distance is very difficult. What can the friend tell you about her situation? Have you spoken to the family? Did she cut herself off because they were trying to get her to acknowledge she had HD and needed help? If you are able to contact your cousin directly, be prepared for her to deny or be unaware that she has a problem as this is one of the symptoms of HD. Also, she may resent any attempt to help or implication that anything is wrong. However, I think you should still start by reaching out directly to her anyway.

If you feel she is in a very bad situation and/or won't accept help, you may need to call the local or county social services and get them involved. Call them, tell them about Huntington's and that you need to have a welfare check and evaluation done for this relative because you are concerned about her health and well-being. That might get her some services. Hope this helps. Take care
September 29, 2015 05:47PM
Your advise was spot on. Local social service is being very helpful and a full medical evaluation is pending. It will be slow, but it is progress. I greatly appreciate the ideas, including the possibilities.

Thank you, Schydawg!
December 21, 2015 08:26AM
It this its fantastic that you are willing to put yourself out there for someone else. In this world we become so focused on our own we often don't realise that something is wrong until its too late. Good for you!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login