Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Cybalta and HD

Posted by caring4hd 
Cybalta and HD
June 12, 2015 04:54PM
Hi all -

So one of the basic rules I have found in Forums, is search first. I did a search for Cymbalta and got one hit.

Today has been a crazy day with my SO. She has been so tired and fatigued for a couple weeks now. I have been going back and forth with the neurologist for days now and finally got her to accept taking an anti depressant. He has prescribed Cymbalta. The one post that came back on my search was positive, but it works differently in all.

I would like to hear of any other experiences with Cymbalta.

This is what our morning looked like this morning.

To the Neurologist this morning:

Just wanting to pass along that this morning we had the first of what I begin as many more to come EMOTIONAL outbursts.

She got up, tried to start getting ready, she had an emotional outburst at the frustration of her body being tired and the ongoing fatigue we are fighting.

She become very agitated, anxious and angry at the "tired all the time" as well as the fatigue threw herself to the floor and then kicked around and then got up and threw herself on the bed telling me to cancel the housekeeper that is coming and saying she is going to stay in bed for the 5th day in the row...

She just told me she is nauseous - cancel the housekeeper. Don't cancel the housekeeper. Cancel the housekeeper. Don't cancel the housekeeper. She seems to be in a state of panic. This just could just be the duration of the fatigue and constant tired, and her claims she is not sleeping despite my observation of a night of a full night of sleep; but sleep does not mean rest (in HD) as I have read in the forums.

She is very agitated that we have not gotten the anti depressant into our arsenal of medications. And even more agitated that it seems no doctor (her words) is giving her the attention that she needs.

PLEASE HELP ME! I have one foot in right now and one foot out. I don't know how long I can watch the human suffering.

Do others find the "let's fit HD" in "this" box mentality? The almost seemingly, "well, this is a terminal illness with no apparent hope for a cure on the horizon so we will do what we can when we feel like it?"

I actually had a medical practioner tell me today that the best thing for some one pHD is to start the hospice care from the positive diagnosis. REALLY???!!! What small minds!! And these are the ones we count on to help guide the course of the health care!!!

While I have expressed my foot in and foot out stance, I cannot just give up. One person can make a difference! But imagine if we all came together somehow, like the "Million Man March!!!"
JFB
Re: Cybalta and HD
June 12, 2015 07:11PM
I'll side track on my Cymbalta experance. I needed something to replace the stuff I had taken for years for back pain. the Dr's assistance suggested I take Cymbalta and gave me a 2 week trial. I started over the weekend and went to work the following week. I don't remember that week at all! I threw the rest away

an SSRI worked wonders for my wife. It took multiple prescriptions of various ones and a low dose of Lexapro worked with out major side effects. I also used a fast acting benzodiazepine when there were outburst. however over the last year, she now takes it regularly with the SSRI

I really do think avoiding the medical profession for the "treatment" of HD has been the best for her in comparison to her sister and brothers. I even have a paper printed that I provide to them that informs them not to even mention HD to her.
June 14, 2015 08:54AM
I can't contribute anything on Cymbalta but Lexapro works for me. I have taken it quite a while now.

We are in agreement on the medical community and there knowledge of HD. In their defense, I have to say it is not something they devote a lot of time to in the textbooks (according to friends in the medical community). That exposure may only be a small paragraph among many. Until they have treated or attended to someone their knowledge of the process is very small. I have a wonderful HD Doc but things are so different in everyone. In my experience their hands are sort of tied not knowing what is next, what will wax or wane. It is very frustrating as an individual to "know" you are not the person you once were. You may feel you are being treated differently than before or those around you, while supporting you, don't want you to focus on what is obvious to them. It is difficult not to think about it. When a person is so fatigued, nauseated and mentally tired from the physical aspects it can take a huge toll.

Hang in there. My advice is find a Doctor you feel has the experience needed.
June 21, 2015 03:03AM
My husband has been on Cymbalta for 4+ years now, and it's had a really good effect on him. Actually it's the first brand of SNRI/SSRI medication that's worked well for him. He is on a 60 mg dosage twice a day.

He's also fatigued and sleeps up to 16 hours a day, but that's because of the HD not the medication. At least that's what I believe since he wasn't excessively tired for the first 3 years he's been taking Cymbalta.

Because it's rather expensive where we live (Denmark) we tried to switch him to Venlafaxine last year, and he had a psychotic meltdown and became violent towards me and our son. Once he was back on Cymbalta he was "normal" again.

On a side note; both our HD+ daughters are taking Venlafaxine which is working well for both of them. It just didn't work for my husband.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2015 03:07AM by Minnie_.
August 13, 2015 07:53AM
Hello Again Caring4HD,

Cymbalta has been fantastic for both y husband and mil! My husband has a lot of weird side effects at first: headache, tired (more than usual), butterflies in his stomach, dizzy....we almost quit it, but a doc convinced me to give it more time. After a few weeks, he was used to it. It took away his anxiety and depression. It helped slightly with pain (although he claims it didn't, but I noticed much less complaining). He is on only 30mg a day. My mil was on 30 and then we uppped it to 60. It didn't really help with pain, but she is like a new person as far a socially. She not only answers questions, but actually initiates conversation now. I'm a very cautious person who would like to avoid meds and go natural routes whenever possible. I'm thankful for cymbalta though. You might also try to get your girlfriend an rx for valium incase she has a severe panic attack like she had the morning you described.

Regarding fatalistic docs - get a new one. There are MANY amazing things going on in medicine and I am very optimistic that they will find new treatments and even a cure in the next 10 - 20 years! I have very solid, logical reasons for believing that. What they can do with genes now is amazing!

Try to find the center of excellence nearest you. I don't know of one in TX, but maybe you can find a place doing a study - something that will allow you to meet at least annually with someone who is an expert in the field.

Try listening to blog talk radio too. [www.blogtalkradio.com]

Be blessed,
Amber

PS - Is your girlfriend still on the cymbalata? Has it helped?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login