Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HDSA/honorable charities??

Posted by Grizmo 
HDSA/honorable charities??
May 05, 2015 02:22PM
Hello all. I joined and made my first post last November regarding my mother. This past Wednesday was her funeral. At the age of 65 and after an incredibly long battle, she passed away at home in my loving father's arms who cared for her and stood by her side for nearly 50 years.

Friends and family members have asked me about organizations to donate to in her honor. I originally said the HDSA but after some research and reading this forum, I am not so sure.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for honorable, effective donations. There is a local center of excellence in my state, too.

Thanks.
Griz
Re: HDSA/honorable charities??
May 05, 2015 03:59PM
Griz,

I'm so sorry about your mother. Try to remember all the good times and not the bad. I couldn't find an easy way to contribute to a COE directly, but you could donate to the Huntington Study Group, who is responsible for a lot of HD research and clinical trials. Here's their donation and information site: [www.huntington-study-group.org]

Best,

Will
May 06, 2015 07:18PM
Griz,

To the extent we can, we donate directly to the Baltimore Huntington's Disease Center at John Hopkins, designated as an COE by HDSA. That way donations go to an activity that directly supports our family and the local HD community without being diluted by HDSA's high overhead tariff.

Look on the web site for the medical center/hospital where your state COE resides, you should find a page for donations or call the COE and ask how you can get donations directly to them.

Suggest you check HDSA out with the Charity Navigator, [www.charitynavigator.org] Also, [thehuntingtonspost.org] is a couple years old, but nothing has changed, at least from what I have seen.

Your local COE will appreciate your support if you decide to go that route.

Or as Will mentioned, Huntington Study Group is a non-profit that does much good for the community.

from the south of Maryland,

Fred Lothrop
May 09, 2015 12:03AM
I'm so sorry. I agree with the suggestion to donate to a COE. I'm closest to UC Davis. They are working on a stem cell treatment. I believe that focused studies like that at COE's are a great place to donate. The reasearchers there often depend on outside donations to further their studies.

Jen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login