Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Osteoperosis in HD patients

Posted by mikee 
Osteoperosis in HD patients
May 25, 2014 07:32PM
Hi all,

I wanted to share something with you and get some of your feedback. As some may know I had two breaks (compression fractures) in my spine around January of this year. Last week I was cleared by the Ortho but ever since it happened he and my family Doc couldn't understand why at my age I could do this. If I were a female it would have been different. I had to push a little to get my Doc to do blood work but from talking to the nurse I'm not sure they are testing at least as quickly as I would like. I go to Mayo this week and will share the information but was wondering if anyone else has seen this. It is my understanding there has been some preliminary research done that shows pre-symptomatic HD patients have less bone density.

Thanks All,

Mike
Re: Osteoperosis in HD patients
August 07, 2015 01:26AM
When I was 32 I was diagnosed with oestopena ( the stage before oestoporosis)

It does have a connection to HD
August 07, 2015 06:15AM
kathleen.

more specifics about the osteoporosis HD link plse
August 07, 2015 09:02PM
If you have been on any of the typical meds used by those with HD, try a web search on them with "bone depleting". I think you will find it interesting.
Lizzieann

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2015 09:03PM by LizzieAnn.
August 10, 2015 09:31AM
It's been a while since I saw the article. Try google. There are still some articles (some scholarly but access is limited).

Due to other complications/issues there wasn't time to discuss the connection with my Neurologist.

Mike
December 21, 2015 08:43AM
"We identified significantly lower bone mineral density levels " (Body composition in premanifest Huntington’s disease reveals lower bone density compared to controls.) [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
January 21, 2016 07:48PM
Thanks Kathleen.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login