Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Help finding grant money

Posted by Loretta Church 
I having been trying to find grant money to purchase a customized wheelchair van for one year. Foundations and corporations give to groups and not individuals. I have emailed and phoned every organization that I have found on the web. All to no avail. It has been suggested that the a local fundraiser be started. As of yet, we have not found someone to pick up the ball and run with it. Anyone have other ideas????? Thanks. LC
RE: Help finding grant money
May 13, 2000 02:40AM
Hi LC,

This is a tough one but we're working on it. There has to be a way.

Always love,
Cristy
Marsha Miller
RE: Help finding grant money
May 13, 2000 06:29AM
I don't have any answers and you may have already tried these ideas, but just in case I thought I'd review what I do in trying to find resources as a volunteer in local (non-HD) programs.

You are right about foundations and corporations giving to groups so you need to find the groups who have money to help the disabled. Two good starting points at the United Way and any state or regional associations of nonprofit agencies/organizations. I would check their web sites, if they have them, and also call them. One of their member agencies might be able to help.

People in state government agencies are a good source of information, too. Any agencies helping the disabled are obviously a good start. Although you are inquiring for someone who is not elderly, agencies dealing with Senior Citizens often know about resources for the disabled. Some states have an Office of the Public Guardian which acts as guardians for people who are not competent to take care of themselves and have no family or friends who are willing or able to act as guardian. Although you don't need the services of this office, I have found our state office to be very knowledgable about medical and disability resources and issues and worth a phone call.

When I start calling, I also start a note book, writing down the date, name, phone number, and organization of the person I talked to, and of course what they said. When people tell me that they don't handle the resources or programs needed or don't have the information I am looking for, I ask them to suggest whom I might call who might know more. The second person may not know either but may know who does. I just keep calling!

One key phrase you might use is 'medically needy.' Most programs have either income limits or sliding scales and it may seem as if your loved one doesn't qualify. However, some programs do recognize that even those receiving pensions or disability payments that put them over the low income capacity can be needy because their medical expenses are so high.
Loretta you didn't say who all you called but have you tried different clubs around and hopefully they are in you state! Lions clubs, Vetrans clubs, Odd Fellow clubs, church clubs, places that might not give you all you want or need but combine maybe they could help you find a way! Well just a thought it might not be able to work in your state but worth a try......

Susie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login