Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

My sister Amy Ahearn is still missing in CA (we think she has HD)

Posted by Margie 
My sister Amy Ahearn is still missing in CA (we think she has HD)
October 27, 2011 04:44AM
Hi, All,
I just wanted to give you an update about my sister Amy Ahearn who is missing in CA. Our family lives in IL and has been searching for her from the midwest.

KABC News Channel 7 in Los Angeles did a good news story this evening [abclocal.go.com].

Also the Los Angeles Times did a story about Amy today (Wednesday) this morning [latimesblogs.latimes.com].

Our private investigator also said she has been hearing news stories about this on the radio in CA today.

Thanks to Sam Quinones at LA Times for writing the article in a neutral manner. His article spurred all of the media coverage in one day.

We also had an article written by Frank Mickadeit from the Orange County Register last week that presented the story in a more "sensational" manner which was very upsetting to our family [www.ocregister.com].

Karen Morey of HDSA Orange County chapter told me Frank had written two articles recently about HD [www.ocregister.com] and [www.ocregister.com] so that is why I contacted him.

The first two articles he wrote about HD had a good tone but the article for our family seemed negative--I don't know why he reported the story this way.

Working with the media has been a learning experience. I am hoping this will help us find Amy.

We hired an additional PI this week and we hope his work will finally give us a breakthrough in finding our sister within the next few days.

Her ex-husband has access to their home and to Amy's mail (they still co-own the house though it was supposed to be refinanced and put in Amy's name by October 1, 2011). He has said from the beginning his lawyers have advised him not to get involved in this. Also he says they tell him he can not provide Amy's mail to our family (including bank and credit card statements that will help us track her) without a court order due to privacy issues. I know if he had provided this information to us from the beginning we might not still be searching for her two months later. Our additional PI will be working on this as well.

Margie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 04:50AM by Margie.
Re: My sister Amy Ahearn is still missing in CA (we think she has HD)
October 27, 2011 02:45PM
I hope they find her soon!
October 27, 2011 04:13PM
It looks like she's been sighted a couple of times. She has to be close. This looks like a pretty urgent situation. I wish you the best and please post when she's found!
October 27, 2011 05:22PM
It looks like you are doing everything in your power to find her. I''m sorry that this has happened. The TV news show looked very appropraite and supportive.
October 27, 2011 10:21PM
Margie, i'm so glad your sister's story finally hit the news. I think you and your family are doing a lot to try and find your sister and get her some help, and i hope this comes to a good ending soon. I think all the news stories were very good, and having your sister's photo in the stories will be a big help. Please keep us up to date
October 28, 2011 04:19PM
I hope they find her soon, too!!!
October 28, 2011 08:37PM
I am so sorry about your sister. I hope that she is found soon!
November 02, 2011 11:20AM
Margie,
Yes, dealing with the media is often a double edged sword. On one hand, we want to get our story out there but on the other, we have no control over how the reporter may "spin" the story.
What about the police involvement? Anything going in that direction. I'm assuming not since your family has had to hire PI's.
You must be worried sick, I'm so sorry this is happening to your family.

You're in my thoughts and prayers for a good outcome and soon!

Carla
November 02, 2011 11:25AM
I looked at her photos and have not seen her. I hope she is found soon, I will be praying that you find her and she is safe. I am so sorry to hear this.
Megan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login