Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

to tell her or not?

Posted by sheila hutcherson 
to tell her or not?
January 21, 2004 11:14AM
I don't want to tell my daughter yet---or her husband--that she definitely has HD...
do I just wait til it gets so much worse that it will become obvious to her or
try to get her to see a doctor now...she insists there's nothing wrong with her...but she has severe depression, long crying spells, anger...long "speeches" about how she can't do the things she dreamed because...bla bla, etc. it makes life difficult for her 2 small children, her husband, etc. she's 29 and has been like this for at least 2 yrs.
RE: to tell her or not?
January 21, 2004 05:22PM
How do you know she "definitely" has HD? Unless she has been tested or unless she has had a child that has been tested, one cannot say she has HD. There are other illnesses including depression etc that could account for her behavior. Even if one of her parents has been tested positive for HD and she is having this behavior, that does not establish that she has it.
January 22, 2004 03:01AM
Hi Sheila,

I have to agree with Richard - I think your daughter needs to see a doctor or perhaps a counsellor as she may be depressed due to the fear of HD? It sounds like she is not coping well with being at risk. I am 26 and at risk, my mother died of HD. I have suffered from depression since I was 17 and yes, at times I read about depression being one of the first syptoms of the disease and this worries me a great deal, especially since I am now a bit older. I raised this concern with a genetics counsellor who told me that as depression is so common these days, its not really the way to diagnose the condition.

I am clearly not a doctor but sounds like your daughter may be scared and is letting the thoughts of HD take over her life. I really feel for her. Until recently I was very much like this with a 'Whats the point' attitude. I still am sometimes like this, but counselling has helped me alot. I have decided that just at the moment I am not ready to take a test, although I think I will in the future.

I wish you and your daughter all the best, I try to think that if I am HD positive, I don't have time left to sit around feeling that there is no point and thats what is keeping me more positive at the moment - I have wasted too much time doing this already. I hope she may eventually realise this too, and if she does have HD then she will have tried to live her life to the full.

Karen
January 22, 2004 11:31AM
I "know" she must have "it" b/c in addition to the depression, she already has movement and balance problems...sometimes "clunking" a glass down too hard on the counter, or fidgeting, or losing her balance, fingers twitching; trouble focusing when spoken to, it's all too much a coincidence not to be HD.

Secondly, when I suggest she see a doctor about her depression, anger, etc. she denies anything is "wrong"! How can I persuade her to see a doctor?
Ken
January 22, 2004 04:45PM
I would first set up a meeting with an hd group and go along with her, then make an appointment with a neurologist and ask for the genetic test , Do not tell her that in which you are not certain, HD mimics ALOT of different ailments, i.e. an over active thyroid could cause, depression, weight gain or loss, shaking, and other symptoms that could be interpreted as HD. Let the professionals do there job and be sure that she is truly positive before causing possible further damage with an incorrect prognosis.
Ken
January 26, 2004 10:13AM
My wife started with the same symptoms.

How do you know it's HD? You seem pretty sure about it.
How do I convince her to see a doctor? she did go once before, but told them nothing about her "symptoms", etc. they just took blood for "lack of energy" and dismissed her! she has no health insurance and says it's a waste of money to go back..."there's nothing wrong!" , she says.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login