Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Mini-profiles & blogs cool smiley

Posted by Barb 
Re: Mini-profile thread
March 25, 2007 08:35AM
Nice meeting you De here and seeing you in the chatroom. Julie is a great person... two peas in a pod I bet.
Joy
April 06, 2007 12:42PM
Hello, I'm Joy. I was just checking out the Lighthouse after a long absence, and found my way here. (I missed Jerry so much, it took me a few years.) It looks like Steve is doing a great job with the forum! Let's see..

I'm 51
Single Mom of one 20 year old son
CAG 39
My Grandfather and father both had late onset, somewhere between 60 and 70, so that's what my doctor thinks is likely for me with a 39 CAG. Sometimes I'm sure it's started, sometimes I'm not.

My sister tested negative, yeah! I'm glad, she has 3 children and 9 grandchildren to worry about, I only have one.

My brother won't get tested, but it sure looks like he's got it. He's 68 and has been developing uncontrollable anger issues.

Although Dad and Grandpa got it late, two of my dad's siblings had onset in their 40's (and maybe another one too). My last living uncle is about 70 and has been diagnosed.

Since expansion sure happened with at least half of Grandpa's kids, I of course worry about my son. My son refuses to admit it could happen to him and doesn't want to be tested. I hope he changes his mind before he's ready to have kids.

Anyway, just poking my head in to say Hi!

Joy
April 06, 2007 02:00PM
Good to meet you Joy! Steve and Marsha are doing a great job. The family is so much bigger now. Jerry would be pleased.
BM
April 10, 2007 06:27PM
Hi, I'm Beth. I have been happily married for 40 yrs. I have two sons,
3 grand kids, and 2 sisters that are at risk. I tested positive about 15 years ago. Cag 40 I have been really active with tennis, skiing, and all sports. My back and shoulders are so bad now that I can't do anything. It's all I can do to walk on the treadmill and do my stabilization exercises. I don't have many HD symptoms. I live in Utah.
April 11, 2007 06:11AM
Welcome Beth smiling smiley
April 13, 2007 11:27PM
Hi. My name is Renee. I am 40 years old and from a large HD family. I have 12 siblings (6 have tested positive and 1 negative - me.) My father is 76 and has HD cag repeat of 40 and in mid to late stages. Johns Hopkins is currently doing a longitudinal study on our family because they are a research hospital, have a nice HD department, and they are interested in very large families such as mine. I am currently taking care of my parents needs as my mother has early Alzheimer's as well. I have also become their power of attorney to help protect them as well. I would be interested in talking with anyone about HD - sometimes I feel alone in this because I'm the only negative in the family (survivor's guilt as they tell me).
April 14, 2007 06:37AM
smiling smiley Welcome Renee, you have come to a good place. Don't ever feel guilty for not having hd. hd is a devistating disease. I too come from a large family (10). You will find support and encouragement and answers to your questions here. I am still new to hd, my husband found out his results in March. His cag is 41.
Good luck and welcome!
-Trish
April 14, 2007 09:18AM
I've been around here reading and contributing once in a while since my MIL was diagnosed about 4 years ago. My husband was just diagnosed with HD after testing positive about a month ago. Since it looks like I'm here a while I'll go ahead and jump in with both feet :-).

Hi, I'm Laura. My husband is 43 years old and in the early stages of HD with a CAG of 44. We have 4 wonderful kids who are at risk....14, 16, 18, and 20. My Mother-in-law has the same CAG count and has suffered from HD for about 20 years and is now in a local NH. There are a couple of extended family members who have HD, along with 2 siblings and 6 nieces and nephews who are all at risk. We live in beautiful Colorado and are trying to encourage each other to live positively and be filled with hope in spite of the challenge of HD.
April 14, 2007 05:33PM
Welcome. My nephew lives in Fort Collins CO and loves it there.
April 15, 2007 12:16AM
Hi everyone! I'm Stacy and I have a wonderful hubby and HD-Free twins, Laurel & Roxanne. I am presymptomatic and CAG 42 and joyfully living life! I am willing to answer questions about PGD thumbs up smiley either visit my website at www.hdfreewithpgd.com or email me at stacybrook@aol.com.
April 16, 2007 10:01PM
My name is Brad. I am 30 (2007) and I have a CAG count of 45 and currently show no signs. My father has hd, he is 62 (2007). My sister is also at risk she is 5 years older than me with about the same count. I live in Houston and I have been here all my life. I love it here. I am trying to find a single girl that is in the same boat as me. I do not know if that is crazy, but I figure we would have nothing to hide (not that I would hide it anyway) I got tested for a girl whom is gone now.
I am new to the board and look forward to meeting everybody.
Brad
April 18, 2007 10:32PM
Barb please replace my profile with this:

Appleseed: I am 58 years old, +HD test, CAG 39, Depression, better with COE Tx. Loss of ability to plan, memory loss that is scary, inability to do my job as a mid-level medical practitioner.. Falling and smashing my left ankle in November 2005. No "fam Hx" of HD. Found my mGGm& her 4 sisters with HD by doing genealogy.Married 29 years, two grown kids at risk. Sis and bro at risk.

Apple
April 19, 2007 12:09PM
Yes, glad to do it apple
April 20, 2007 09:11PM
Hi,
My name is Sharon and my husband and I live in Nebraska. He is 58 and has had HD symptoms for about 12-13 years. We have two grown beautiful children and their beautiful spouses, as well as the joy of our lives
which are two beautiful granddaughters. Can you tell I am blessed and proud?
My husband and his family have never been tested, however, his grandmother, father and several first cousins have died of HD. He presently has a sister and brother who are younger in NH.
I pray every night and many times during the day for a cure for all these beautiful people in my family and yours.
April 21, 2007 03:44PM
Hello Everyone, I'm Anders , 45 at risk female. I'm really enjoying this board. thanks.
April 23, 2007 06:21PM
I am 33 and have been diagnosed with HD CHOREA for 4 years now. I am married to a wonderful man whom takes care of me even though he has COPD. We both will be 34 in may.
I lost my child to this horrible disease.(Courts say I am not well enough to take care of her any more.) She will be 18 this year and wants to come home to help with me. My only fear is she will inherit this disease as well.

With HD I talk, walk, and act funny. I hate going out, I hate meeting new people. I'd rather stay inside my under ground Apt with my husband and service dog. My coffee and cigarettes is all I want to be happy.
I have lost 62 lbs due to HD, and am on many different medications for it.
I miss driving the worse. My doctor is trying parkington's meds on me and they help some what. I mark all light switches, cabinets etc. to half way function since my mind is going the fastest.

Any way I am new to this chat and hope to make some friends along the way. I no longer work and draw disability to live on.
Thank you lot for letting me find a support group.
Your Friend,
Eudell
April 24, 2007 02:06AM
Hey there Eudell and welcome! Hope to chat more soon!

Louise x
April 24, 2007 08:03AM
Thank you Louise x. Same here.
April 24, 2007 12:59PM
Welcome Eudell, you have found a great place with wonderful support.
-Trish
April 24, 2007 05:53PM
Thank you Trish.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login