Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

VA question

Posted by wallettce 
VA question
June 01, 2017 10:24PM
I was wondering if anybody has been approved disability catastrophic by the VA if anyone could give me any information I will appreciate .
Re: VA question
June 06, 2017 07:43AM
Yes.

We worked with the VA benefits rep assigned to the local military base to file Ms. America's application for catastrophic disability due to Huntingtons, which was approved. Included were statements and diagnoses from John Hopkins University - most important as correspondence from known and respected medical institutions carry more weight with the VA than those from local care providers. Review of military service medical records, if available, by a MD or medical team, associated with an HD clinic to identify HD symptoms should be included in support of the application - there is a case where home video, annotated by a doctor, of a service member falling down while in formation was submitted in support of a claim for VA disability. Also, take advantage of VA reps, as we did, or work with veteran service officers (VSOs), trained and certified by VA, at any of the veteran organizations, such as VFW, American Legion, DAV. You will also find help at the state level. And, dot the I's and cross the T's and feed back words/phrases in the VA requirements as initial review of applications are processed by machines.

BTW, the VA has an out reach program - Home Based Primary Care - that supports veterans in rural areas. Team Six out of the Washington DC VA Center was great in helping with Ms. America's care. They were her advocate in the VA system enabling her to remain at home throughout her battle with HD.

Good luck, let me know if I can be of further help

from the south of Maryland,

Fred Lothrop
June 06, 2017 08:06PM
Thank you for your information, I appreciate it, I will go to Va they told me before that because my husband income disability and retirement he makes too much to qualify for assistant, I do not worry too much for now, I stop working to take care of him, and with his money we are living but I am thinking in the future If I had the need to put him in a home if I am not able to take care of him I am trying to prepared myself before that happen.
June 07, 2017 03:58PM
Let me qualify my remarks

Ms. America applied for medical benefits as a veteran, once approved she applied - with the assistance of a VA benefits rep - for catastrophic disability.

Again, recommend you contact a veteran's service rep at one of the veterans' organizations or at state level. It is a tough go and they give you advice and assistance.
June 07, 2017 11:18PM
thank you very much Normzach .
June 08, 2017 11:51AM
And, here is a good place to start before you meet with a VA rep or VSO

[explore.va.gov]
June 13, 2017 09:30PM
THANK YOU AGAIN
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login