Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Insurance Question

Posted by katierae13 
Insurance Question
May 01, 2012 01:58PM
Hi All,

Since my father has been diagnosed with Huntington's and went through insurance for his testing, is it possible that I could get flagged and denied coverage?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Re: Insurance Question
May 01, 2012 02:25PM
I think that because you have not been diagnosed with HD it would be very hard for them to deny you and you might be able to sue them based on a possibility. These are the types of questions which are just beginning to surface with the Insurance companies. I also would like to hear of others situations.
I always made sure that my family had coverage and never dropped it for a day because I thought that a preexisting condition might cause a denial of a claim. But that is not the same as being related to a PHD.
May 01, 2012 05:41PM
My husband applied for disability insurance before being tested but was denied because it was in the information that the family doctor released to the insurance company that his mother had HD. he managed to get an exception and still get insurance but if it was for any neurological disease the policy would not pay. For example, if he had been diagosed with Parkinsons they would not have paid. Better shop around carefully for insurance.
May 01, 2012 06:15PM
I am only concerned because my employer paid benefits became effective today, but my Health Insurance carrier has not processed my application due to further research. They did not have much for information for me. My father was recently diagnosed with Huntington's and he used his insurance for all of his testing etc. I am currently on his plan while I transition to my own plan. My head automatically assumed it was HD getting in the way of my insurance being approved. I am the Human Resources department/Benefit Administrator for my company, and they wouldn't give me any further information.
May 02, 2012 10:14PM
Insurance is a tricky thing. Most Doc's I've encountered are scared to death of them. As far as documeation, they don't seemed to be concerend with the patient's best interest.
Mike
May 03, 2012 09:56AM
One thing I wished I had done is that my neice, who is 29, tested in NYC without documentation so it would not hit her insurance and she tested 44. I didn't know about it or I would have done the same. Maybe the Centers have something available. I know that doesn't help with your father, but maybe a route for you if you choose to test in the future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login