Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

irritability and medication

Posted by klivin 
irritability and medication
April 30, 2012 10:06AM
Hey everyone. Its been a bit since I've posted. I need a little feedback if you will..... my husband Ken, pHD, age 40, (cag 42) has been doing fairly well. He is in school, working as a counselor at a drug and alcohol rehab and managing everything pretty well. According to the dr's at the COR he is "pre-motor" HD. Yesterday, he came home from softball and said that he had gotten into a fight (verbal) with one of his teammates who was "playing like crap". He was ok most of the day, tired and napped a bit...and when we spoke later he said it was still bothering him and he really wasn't able to "get over it". He wasn't agitated with me at all, but it seemed to be bothering him. Today he texted me from school saying that 98% of the people in class he hated. (I texted back that I often feel that way about people at work on a monday before coffee--lol) but I am starting to get concerned. He is currently prescribed 20 mg of Celexa and I am feeling that he may need an upped dosage. We spoke about him calling the psychiatrist @ the COE (who he likes and is comfortable with), he said he would. I am wondering if all he is trying to do is too much and maybe he needs to slow down. I am worried now....we have been going along quite nicely and although there have been some issues we've been managing. I'm sad today. I look at him and how far he has come...I don't want to see that taken away from him. I guess today is just a bad day.
Re: irritability and medication
April 30, 2012 10:18PM
I see that in my BF with HD. She has always been dramatic about things, but now she just can't let things go. She is so irrational at times that I have a hard time trying to reason with her. I started to notice the personality changes about a year ago and it has only progressed even with her on 2 different anti-anxiety and 1 anti-depressant. Her CAG is 42 as well. I think she also tries to do to much and I think it affects her negatively.
May 01, 2012 12:12PM
KarenLea:

Thanks for your response. My husband came home and talked to me about it. Wasn't irrational--with me about it. It seemed to bother him though. He tends to get heated when he plays ball (as some people do) and the responsibilty of managing and coaching seems to be too much. He said, I'm not having fun. I think maybe its too much. To which I agreed. The following dayhe textedme that 98%of the people in his class were on his nerves and a couple fo weeks ago he ranout of his meds for a few days and he recognized being edgier than usual. I think he needs to at least talk to the psychiatrist. Yesterday, after talking with his AA sponsor, he agreed to do some work with him first before moving towards medication. I was a little frustrated with this, even though I agree that he should work on those issues, Ithink the psychiatrist should be made AWARE of the issues. Anyone?
May 02, 2012 10:21PM
klivin I remember another post from you. Personally I am more irritable but in some ways more docil than in years past. My kids and wife will agree. Those around me don't see some of it, it's in my brain. He is doing well to be able to continue as he has. You have done well as a support mechanism. Pass along to him that I admire you both.I hope things work out.
Mike
May 04, 2012 07:26AM
thank you Mikee. I am very proud of my husband. He's an amazing person. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login