Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HD and learning problems

Posted by jehi2845 
HD and learning problems
December 08, 2010 05:36PM
So a little history about myself... my mom (who was adopted) was diagnosed with HD almost a year ago, and it has been really hard for the whole family. I'm her only child, so I'm the only one who is dealing with trying to decide whether or not to get tested. Even though I think about it all day long and I convince myself that I have it every time I forget something or bump into something, I still haven't decided that knowing that I actually do have it (if it comes back positive) will be something that I can deal with.

my question is, my mom's neurologist was asking my grandmother about me and my learning. I work as a social worker for the state with an extremely stressful job, and I had no problems in school growing up. I was in honor's classes and excelled in math. He said I didn't have HD because I wouldn't be able to do my job or have been so successful in school growing up.

so does anyone have any thoughts on this? did anyone have any learning problems growing up or did you excel in school too? my mom struggled through school and then eventually struggled to get through college. I've read about juvenile HD and some learning problems, but my mom was 52 when she was diagnosed.

thanks for your time smiling smiley
Re: HD and learning problems
December 08, 2010 05:59PM
My daughter was diagnosed with HD at age 21 with a CAG of 60. She is now 28 and in mid stage. She was an honor student in high school and graduated magna cum laude from college after she was diagnosed. So,in her case, HD did not cause any learning difficulties despite the fact that she was actually symptomatic while in school. Our case is similar to yours in that my wife was also adopted and we had no idea that HD was in the family. Her mother passed away at 33.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 06:02PM by howard.
December 08, 2010 06:07PM
Unfortunately, the only way to determine whether you have HD or not, is the genetic test. Your mother's neurologist is wrong. Your school history and work history do not determine HD. The gene does. Many people with HD were succesful in school and work before the HD gene began to affect their brain and they became sympomatic.
December 08, 2010 06:13PM
thank you for that info! right after I posted this, I found an article where a guy said his grandfather died of HD and had a phD in chemistry. I figured the neurologist jumped the gun by making that statement, but I haven't been able to find any reading material on the subject.
December 08, 2010 09:42PM
neurologist was totally off. My husband was the top of his class in HS, went to Cornell on scholarship, very successful legal career. his dad who also had HD rose to the very top level of the NYPD - he was one of three 3 or 4 star chiefs - just under the commissioner!
December 09, 2010 12:39AM
that neuro needs to get over their learning disability it seems
December 11, 2010 01:30AM
At the World Congress there were speakers like Charles Sabine and another man who's name I've forgotten who are gene positive. Charles is 50 and worked for CNN covering the war, the other gentleman works in the scientific area of finding treatments/cure for HD.

So how can the Neurologist say that by having a brilliant mind and getting honours means that you can't have HD? I agree with Brent - if you're going to be a Neurologist advising about HD you should at least know something about it.

Makes you wonder how many other people he has given false information to, scary thought.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login