Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

definition

Posted by jen 
jen
definition
September 07, 2005 08:31PM
I've known of HD for about 18 years.My husband could be at risk he has never been tested. His mother and her mother had HD. No one new what his grandmom had she was put in a mental institute. Im looking for a definition of the disease so i can explain it to my family i cant explain HD well i can but i just wanted other peoples definition of HD. thank you
JFB
RE: definition
September 07, 2005 08:59PM
Just look arounf this site, tray FAQ
[www.hdac.org]
jen
September 07, 2005 10:35PM
Thank you JFB.I had a site before but i just couldnt find the info again . Thank you once again the site was perfect.
jen
Sally
September 08, 2005 04:55PM
I have always explained it as a combination of ALS, Parkinsons, and Alzheimer?s Disease. These are all things that people can relate to.
Christine
September 09, 2005 06:16AM
I usually described it as similar to Parkinsons and Alzheimers, too, but what is ALS?
Sally
September 09, 2005 04:22PM
Have you heard of Lou Gehrig's Disease? Try this website for more information [www.alsa.org] , but here is a quote from it "ALS is a neurodegenerative disease that usually attacks both upper and lower motor neurons and causes degeneration throughout the brain and spinal cord. A common first symptom is a painless weakness in a hand, foot, arm or leg, which occurs in more than half of all cases. Other early symptoms include speech swallowing or walking difficulty. " Doesn't that sound alot like Huntington's? I never use to at ALS to the list, until my husband tested positive. The gentic counsellor added it to the list. I started researching it and it matches most of the features.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login